RE: [OM] Leica jewelry OT

Subject: RE: [OM] Leica jewelry OT
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 14:04:27 -0700
Cc: <vondauster@xxxxxxx>
Hi All,

W. J. Liles posted:

<<I am afraid I do not like this world of committee and focus group
designed all electronic everything that changes every month for no
particular reason>>

Therein I see convergence between computers and cameras these days.
Computers are the ultimate marketer's dream, I think. We all like what they
can do for us. New applications are being invented all the time (ie the Web)
requiring more powerful computers using more complex software requiring
constant upgrading to continue using this "tool" to utmost effect. Likewise,
cameras - both film-based and digital - have become increasingly complex.
Nikon's F5 metering system, for example, attempts to combine as much
collective photographic wisdom as possible, color and densitronic sensing,
and a fast computer chip into a camera that can do the thinking for the
photographer. These incredibly complex systems eventually trickle down to
the lower cost cameras, and, the marketers hope, everyone feels they need to
upgrade again. The trendiness of digital cameras, in spite of the dismal
image quality most provide, is another example of the same thing. People
"just gotta have one."

Yet for exposures, as has been pointed out recently here, it all comes down
to an aperture and shutter speed in the end.

One of the things I like about my Leicas and OMs is that they both seem to
supply me with just the right amount of technology to do the type of
photography I like to do. Both are relatively simple and reliable. Both have
outstanding optics. I feel no need to "upgrade" my cameras on a regular
basis. The few times I have bought and used different systems, I have latter
regretted it. I suppose this makes me a marketer's nightmare.

The Arts and Crafts movement (Morris, Ruskin, et al) of the last century and
early part of this one stressed craftsmanship, and the ideal that it is
better to have fewer "things," but that those things that one acquires be of
exquisite quality. In the case of my tools, Olympus and Leica seems to have
met that criteria well.

Will von Dauster

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde