Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica jewelry OT
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 19:49:58 -0500
*- DORIS FANG -* wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, W. J. Liles wrote:
>
> > Leica vs Olympus
>
>    Hold it right there, W.J. I certainly hope that no one thought THAT
> of my posts regarding Leica. That's exactly what it has not been about.

I apologize.  That is indeed a misrepresentation of your comments.

>              OM-3ti....$1,500         Leica M6....$1,599
>              50mm/2.0..$  500         50/2.0 Summi$  710
>                       ---------                  ----------
>                       $2,000                       $ 2,309
>
>   Wow...a +$310 difference. Probably less than what detailing the ole
> Porsche costs. ;-) My point is that if you're buying new, the difference
> is less than one might think. In SLRs, an R6-2 with a 28-70, runs
> $2250. The OM-3ti plus 35-80, a mere $2650. My, you could SAVE $400
> by buying Leica. Yes, I know that if you fill a camera bag with glass, the
> difference widens considerably, but the point is: We're already breathing
> rare air cost-wise in OM-country, beyond diminishing returns, or reason.

Actually I drive a Jeep and detail it with the garden hose,  have a son
in the local, state university and bought my cameras used after my OM-1
I had for 22years was stolen.  I still can't afford a new OM or Leica,
especially considering what a lousy photographer I am.  I'm recently out
of the Army and I'm not in the rarified income level you suspect.  On
the other hand to you the Leica is worth every penny and I am glad you
could find a way to get one.  No one ever said reason has anything to do
with photography as a hobby.  Someday I hope to have an attack of
insanity and find a good M-3 or M-6.

By the way I love your style even when it is aimed at me, keep it up.

W. J. Liles
Maj MC
USAR