Re: [OM] OT Photo contest ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Photo contest ethics
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 00:42:35 EDT

> A very large corporation (100,000+ employees) is conducting its third
>  annual photo contest.
The first two were a success I guess and no one sued them.
> The stated objective is to obtain images for the
> Corporate intranet image data base.
Is there an intranet gallery everyone can look at?
> The images in this database are available for
> free use within the Corporation, and on request,
> outside the Corporation.
I would only worry about the use outside of the Corp.
Will any compensation change hands or will the Corp.
benefit monetarily?
> Those three winners each receive C*n*n cameras with
> consumer grade zoom lenses.
They obviously want only the P&S crowd to enter and
not the Olympus diehards. We would turn around and sell the
C camera or give it away.
> Submissions are not returned and the Corporation
> claims use of all submissions for ?an unlimited time.?
> They do not, however, claim exclusive rights.
That means you can still sell your pic to anyone
else and they can also use it. It may be just legalese
to protect them in case they might want to show off
their internal stuff. But if they make $$ off of it then
'the photographer should get a cut.
> I believe most do not realize that their work has
> value for which they will receive no
> consideration in return.
If the only use is Intranet, then I would have no objection.
The value for an internal publication is rather small.
If it makes the corporate student body happy, then more
power to it. It is rare that corporations celebrate in any
way the creativity of its employess and kudos to those
that do. But corporations are in business to make
the $$$tockholders happy. If they are not out to
make a buck on this, it sounds good to me.

IMHO,
Warren
[Creatively stifled while working for a 2 billion dollar corporation.]

PS. My favorite Dilbert cartoon: 1/the boss man says let's harness the
creativity and energy of our rebellious employees?, 2/ Dilbert answers: You
fired them all on culottes day. 3/Boss man tries again: Maybe we can harness
the energy of our sarcastic employees?