Re: [OM] OT Photo contest ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Photo contest ethics
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 12:01:04 +0000
Gary Edwards wrote:

>As I see this, the Corporation is conducting this contest to obtain
>uncompensated use of employees' personal work, at very modest overall
>expense.

Yep.  It happens a lot, it even happens with companies asking customers or
consumers in general to enter competitions with such rules.  They are
essentially getting a wide range of images for minimal outlay.  Any photog.
who values his/her work wouldn't touch these with a bargepole.  The same
goes for competitions where the organisers either refuse to return your
material or they wish to have copyright.  Ha!

They would be better off offering some kind of reward for usage.  I think
that asking people to submit images produced in their own time is like
asking them to work extra hours for nothing.  It's up to the individual to
say no.  Don't sell yourself short - It's easy, I've done it  :-(  It
devalues your future work, and makes it harder for everyone else too.

Simon E.