Re: [OM] OM in Encarta 99!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM in Encarta 99!!!
From: Alex.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:55:04 +0100

>> these machines are called "water jet cutting machines". They work
>> with a pressure up to 4000 bar. The water is not hot.

>  Hmmm. Wouldn't the pressure er...warm it up ? (My high school physics
>is failing me here).

Doris,

It is my understanding that forcing something at high pressure through a
confined space actually cools it down as it escapes (hence although your breath
is warm when you blow with your lips together it feels cool, and aerosol sprays
always feel cool. (it is also the principle that refidgerators work on).

If you keep a liquid under pressure you are indeed able to "superheat" it above
it's normal boiling point, as the molecules do not have the physical space to
turn into a gas.

...I didn't know you were a mountain biker!

Alex Hughes

Important Email Information

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended addressee please
contact the sender and dispose of this e-mail.