Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 21:57:34 +0100
At 12:58 06/08/99 -0400, Doris wrote:

>  Had Richard read the original post, he would have realized that the
>quote from Jim was referring to the use of a pinhole camera vs. an
>F5 + 300/2.8 to cover a boxing match. The idea being that for certain
>uses, certain types of cameras can and do make a difference.

I am well aware of the original post Doris, my point was that in a straight
comparison of technical performance between brands it's more appropriate to
compare similar systems.  I am equally aware that you never suggested such
a comparison, but others have done - the thread started with a lens test
and some discussions of whether there was a "Leica look" IIRC.  I don't
have all of them to refer to.

At the end of my post, I said " The performance of the top camera brands
doesn't vary that much, but what *does* vary is the versatility, handling
and feel.  Compare an F5, an OM-4Ti and an M6. Horses for courses " which
is pretty much the same point as yours isn't it?

>   You and Will address an issue I never approached, never said or
>imagined. I do not consider my M6 an "upgrade" (Nor my F4s) from Olympus.

I know.  I deliberately used the words "change to another system", not
"upgrade".  I thought I was agreeing with you!  I'll make a mental note not
to answer two points in one post in future...

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England