Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: [OM]Leica vs Om (was Mandler 50mm f/2 Summicron-M tested)
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:18:42 -0700
Richard;

>>I have a question: What's a 'postal print portfolio'?
>
>A group of photographers, usually about a dozen or so, who circulate a box
>of prints between themselves.  Each contributes a print, comments on the
>other members' contributions, and mails it on to the next member.  It's a
>great way to get to see the work of others and get feedback on your own
>work.  There's also a general comments sheet where you can share ideas and
>info (rather like this mailing list although the answers usually take
>months rather than minutes to get back to you!).  The one I'm in has three
>OM users in it.  (OM content :-) )  There is a wide variety of styles, some
>portraitists, some landscapes, some b/w, some colour and so on.  We've
>recently got our first digital-imager as well, certain to stir things up a
>bit :-)

Sounds similar to what I (we) are doing.  We make showing and critiquing
work an excuse for a get-together.  Used to be just the guys, but now the
wives and SOs come too.  And it's much more fun!  One of the gals has become
a good B&W printer herself so she's kind of a dual member.  And my wife owns
a gallery and loves to see new work.  She carries the work of all 5 of us.

I like your method as well, in that you get to see the work of many more
photographers, spread out in locations and can spend some time with the
prints to get past first impressions.  Got to be patient, though, waitin' on
the postman.

>>PS:  One of the 4 photographers in my group (he prints both B&W and
>>Cibachrome remarkably well) purchased one of your analyzers a few months
ago
>>and raves about it.
>
>I'm pleased to hear it :-)  We have quite a number of customers in the US,
>mostly as a result of our web site and an article in Shutterbug back in
>December 1997, and the Analyser is our best seller over there.  The Leica
>R-owning friend that I mentioned in my previous post is the one who had the
>original idea for the Analyser - basing its display on the OM-4's
>multi-spot metering system.

I had no idea that you were involved with the analyzer until your recent
post where you included the URL.   I'll have to take a closer look next time
we meet over at his place.  I want to see how the display relates to the
OM-4s.

George