Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium

Subject: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 11:16:25 +0800 (WST)
> Hey group,
>
> Just how beneficial is it to have Ti on your camera?
> Individual thoughts would be interesting......to me anyway.
>
> Charlie L.

Well, it gives you the ability to boast to your friends that you have a
titanium constructed camera :-). In theory titanium is meant to be
extremely strong and light. But in real practice (or commercial world),
I don't think it's marginally better than conventional metal used.
Guess it really depends on the amount of titanium used.

Some products benefit from titanium more...eyeglass frames for example,
it's great for your nosebridge (unless you have heavy glass lenses - of
which you'll defeat the purposes of having titanium frames).

But for golf, I don't think titanium heads really give that much more
distance & accuracy.

Cameras?? Well, although my OM-4Ti is tonnes lighter than my EOS-3, I
don't think it's because of the titanium content. To be honest, I don't
know if the titanium housing of the OM-4Ti is that strong. I bought my
OM-4Ti off a pro photographer 2nd hand. Apparently he dropped his
tripod on the pentaprism and damaged it. Olympus repaired and put on a
new titanium shell over it, which he then sold the camera to me.

Just my $0.02 worth,
Sean
--
Sean H.Y. Chan   ICQ# 28162308   sean@xxxxxxxxxx