[OM] Partly OT - Encarta and 21/3.5

Subject: [OM] Partly OT - Encarta and 21/3.5
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 09:50:02 +0200
>: However, even funnier than the ludicrous idea that titanium would _melt_
>: because of the water's _temperature_, is what Giles actually wrote, because
>: he wrote that the encyclopedia actually stated that the titanium _dissolves_
>: in hot water, just like sugar in tea :)))
>
>Ahem - Encarta. Isn't that a MicrobeShaft product? You'd better read the
>disclaimers.
>"Everything we write is right until proven wrong, collapses or crashes."
>
>hnz

Encarta is a product that I have always thought of as rewriting the world
according to MS.  It tends to use the simplisitic interpretation of history
and could almost be called revisionist IMCO (in my caustic opinion ;-))  It
is not a reference system that I would bother to use if it were free.  I do
have Grolier Encyclopaedia on my Mac, but use it only if the paper
references that we have at home or at work fail us; a Sherlock search on
the Internet is better (cool Mac "Find" system).

But I also abhor the way English dictionaries are rewritten so frequently
in order to increase sales - it is becoming almost sensational to say
something like :" split infinitives no longer disallowed!"  I lauged when I
saw in an old copy of Word  with the option to pick up split infinitives
with 1, 2 or 3 intervening words in the grammar checker.

Yes all right, I'm 45 and old-fashioned, but I don't feel it;  if you fly
fast jets for a living you never feel old, but your face sags more under G.

OM CONTENT:

I went to a party last night to say farewell to our priest, and took my
OM1N, with 21/3.5 (as well as a 40/2 and 135/3.5).  It is excellent for
groups.  I just hope that I finished the film before I finished the bottle
of wine... ;-)

Chris