RE: [OM] Leica jewelry OT

Subject: RE: [OM] Leica jewelry OT
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 19:25:26 +0000
[Oly Content First]
At 07:25 8/7/99, Chris Barker wrote:
>Resisting obsolescence is one of the reasons that I
>buy (or justify buying anyway) things like OM and Mac.

Obsolescence is all in the mind, which you probably already know.  The
first question I ask myself on any thought of trading the OM SLR system for
a newer SLR system:  will it *truly* provide *needed* functionality that
cannot be achieved with the OM system.  A closer look has always revealed
(for me) it would only change how the same functionality is accomplished,
and the difference in "how" very insufficient to begin justifying the cost.

Using a ZI Contax forces disciplined photography with conscious employment
of First Principles: composition, focus and exposure.  It's basic
photography uncluttered by having zero gizmos.  (OK, OK I'll concede a
coupled rangefinder and an uncoupled reflected light meter are two gizmos
if someone presses the issue.)  An unintended but pleasant side effect is
its carryover in improving all my photography.  I think this was alluded to
by someone else who is also using one of the Leica M's.  The Contax is used
for different things than the OM, albeit there is some crossover at times.
Those in the performing arts does exercises continuously to maintain and
further develop mastery of technique; they don't just "perform."  Why
shouldn't a photographer do the same?  Design "elegance" is simplicity
using the fewest parts.  In the arts "elegance" is doing much with little.
Isn't that one of the things we admire about our OM's?  Compared to some of
the current 35mm SLR hardware, they are more "elegant."

[Now for the Way, Way OT; Quit Here if Not of Interest]
At 18:01 8/6/99 , Denton wrote:
>Gustav may have gone broke, but Stickly the factory is alive and well in
>Manisus New York. They are represented by E. J. Audi in New York City and

Yep, Gustav didn't know how to put together a good catalog; something his
two younger brothers (Leopold & J. George) knew how to do better.  Those
who cannot afford the Stickly factory and have a garage load of tools can
still "do it themselves" in the true Gustav spirit:
1.  "Making Authentic Craftsman Furniture", Dover, New York, 1986 (ISBN
0-486-25000-8):  62 reprints from Gustav's magazine.
2.  "Mission Furniture:  How To Make It", Dover, 1980 (ISBN 0-486-23966-7).
 Complete reprint of Popular Mechanics Company's three handbooks published
in 1909, 1910 and 1912.
3.  "Mission Style Lamps and Shades", Dover, 1982 (ISBN 0-486-24244-7):
reprint of Popular Mechanics Company's volume on lamps published in 1911.

The books are still available, but must be ordered.  Some of the designs
have been adapted for a few things around the house.  Getting quarter-sawn
oak is real problem requiring access to a lumber mill.  Warning:  solid oak
Craftsman (or Mission) furniture gives movers hernias.  Denton must have
healthy floor joists if he has an apartment loaded with it.

-- John