[OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)

Subject: [OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 08:56:44 +0200
Acer wrote:
>As for the Land Cruiser/Tahoe, of course, there's a lot more. Test drive
>and tell me which is refined. There's resale value, reliabitily, build
>quality, exchange rate, and much more. However, unless you need towing
>capacity in excess of 5000pounds, I would strongly suggest something along
>the lines of a Volvo V70, BMW 5-series sportwagon, Saab 9-5 wagon, or
>Mercedes E-klasse wagons. They'll all run you from 35k(Volvo)-55k
>(Benz/540i) US, new, and short of towing large loads, they'll do
>everything better (handling, fuel, comfort, safety, etc). The V70 and E320
>(or E300 if you prefer turbodiesel) are also available in full-time
>fourwheel drive; two-wheel drive versions all have traction control
>standard.

If it's of any use to anyone, I plan to sell my current car, an E300TD
Estate and buy an ML270CDi in November; I'll tell you what it's like if
anyone is interested. The ML will be only my second 4WD after I had an
Isuzu Trooper in Florida.  The E300TD is an Avantgarde version and is
lovely to drive on roads, carries my OM kit in its entirety without needing
a roof box, but the boot is so big, my kit tends to roll around!  But the
lowered suspension makes it unsuitable for potholed roads, let alone
off-road.

The ML270CDi (not made in Tallahassee, but in Graz, Austria) will be a very
interesting experience as a carrier of OMs (big boot, but taller space so
easier to tie the bags down) and will be good off-road.  But I'm not sure
if the 2.7litre engine will be man enough for the job of lugging this 1.6
tonne monster around.

BTW Alex, blowing on your hand feels cool because you shift the warmth away
from your skin, as well as evaporating any moisture that was there.  The
phenomenon that you are talking about is called, I believe, the "Venturi
effect", a gas that is speeded up drops in pressure (and therefore in
temperature) - that's how aerofoils work.  However, my aerodynamics
groundschool was over 20 years ago so I'm willing to be corrected.

ECLIPSE question: is anyone planning to take photos of the eclipse?  I
don't think that I shall have the time.  Germany air traffic are going to
declare the hour straddling the event "Night/IMC" so I shall have to stop
this base flying from here to make it simple to control.

Chris