Re: [OM] (fwd) ... OM-4Ti together with Leica ...

Subject: Re: [OM] (fwd) ... OM-4Ti together with Leica ...
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 09:10:11 -0400

>I'm new to this forum..... Just read the digest  today..... from what I
>gather , a Ms
>Doris Fang seems to own the OM system as well as the Leica M system....

I do also, and others besides. Altho I have only an M6, 35/2 ASPH, and 50/2. So
while awaiting Doris' reply, I will give you my own .02...

>Like to know  how and when U use these 2 systems    how do U maximise the
>strengths
>of each system... when and how U decide to use each system.....

Leica M is pretty useless with lenses greater than 90mm, and require a seperate
viewfinder with lenses under 28mm. Leica is useless for macro, fisheye,
attachement to telescopes, microscopes. Leica is barely usable with flash, and
while the Olympus system has not kept up with the most modern developments
here, it is far ahead.

As a camera that must be kept quiet and the photographer unobstrusive, such as
in street or documentary work, the M is unsurpassed. As a tool where the camera
is to have focus and exposure pre-set while working with a wide-angle lens on
the street, and the camera held at hip, chest, or eye level, the M is a great
tool. It can be carried in a hip pouch or in the hand with the grip and strap.
When you learn the focussing tab position on the lens and how it relates to
focus distance it is incredibly fast.

The framelines of the M deliniate the edges of your photo and make you question
the boundaries and establish your compostition more carefully.

If I was going to be in a remote part of the world where repair services where
unavailable I cannot think of a camera I would rather have if I could only have
one. The construction is amazing and has been continuously refined for 45
years.

As Leica updates their lens line with aspherical surfaces it is unlikely that
Leitz glass will be surpassed. Of course you pay for this.

>I own (recently) a Leica R7 with a standard 50 f/2 and the (ugggh..)
>28-70zoom as
>well as a Minilux.
>
>Seems there's some kind of  'symbiotic' advantage in having the use of an
>OM and
>Leica system.... what's the story ?
>
>why not a Nikon system with the Leica or Minolta with the Leica, or Canon
>with the
>Leica....

Because this is the Olympus list? In terms of quality of construction, small
size, quality of lenses, it may be that Olympus (and Contax, with the Zeiss
lenses) best approach the Leica M ideal of a system for the serious, thinking
photographer who insists on full control and desires a system moderate in size.
Of course the Leica R system could be considered. I have always been attracted
to the R 6.2, for example. But with a 50 1.4 that costs $2100, and which is
inferior to far cheaper offerings from both Zeiis and Zuiko, it seems more of a
system for dilletantes than photographers (no offense meant to anyone who does
not fit the bill!)

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.