Re: [OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)

Subject: Re: [OM] 4WD OM carriers (was Random Spewage)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 08:20:27 -0500
Chris Barker wrote:

> The ML270CDi (not made in Tallahassee, but in Graz, Austria) will be a very
> interesting experience as a carrier of OMs (big boot, but taller space so
> easier to tie the bags down) and will be good off-road.  But I'm not sure
> if the 2.7litre engine will be man enough for the job of lugging this 1.6
> tonne monster around.

Thats where the American behemoths are better, their engines have gobs
of torgue and horsepower and are usually better offroaders.
Unfortunately this is at the expense of horrible gas mileage  What you
really need is a Hummer.  It's a diesel and gets better mileage than a
Chevy Tahoe, can carry an entire squad or most of your camera gear, and
can go anywhere that has an 8ft wide space to squeeze through.
Unfortunately it costs about as  much as some third world countries
budgets.

> BTW Alex, blowing on your hand feels cool because you shift the warmth away
> from your skin, as well as evaporating any moisture that was there.  The
> phenomenon that you are talking about is called, I believe, the "Venturi
> effect", a gas that is speeded up drops in pressure (and therefore in
> temperature) - that's how aerofoils work.  However, my aerodynamics
> groundschool was over 20 years ago so I'm willing to be corrected.

The effect you are describing is the Bernoulli effect and applies to
gasses and liquids and has a lot to do with the lift your Tornado's wing
develops.  The Venturi effect is used in designing nozzles for steam
engines and later for rockets and uses a converging nozzle to speed up
the flow of a gas under pressure followed by a diverging nozzle to
further accelerates the gas by rapidly expanding it to ambient air
pressure.

W. J. (Jerry) Liles