Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:50:48 +0100
Acer wrote:

>Question: I scaled some of images, scanned from a 4x6 print, to said
>resolution. I've discovered it changes the aspect ratio somewhat, and to
>me looks unnatural, vertically stretched. Just me or what?

No, it's not you.  6x4 is an aspect ratio of 1.5:1 whereas 640x480 is
1.33:1 - hence your distortion.  Scale it to 640x420 for a better result.

Now here's my question: I've often seen this business of 72dpi as being the
same as screen resolution and therefore the optimum for scans to be
displayed on monitors. But, I can set my 15" monitor to 640x480, 800x600,
1024x768.  So the dpi is going to vary by quite a lot.  While the physical
dots per inch of a screen might well be 72, surely an image scanned at that
resolution will not necessarily be *displayed* at that - it will depend on
the relationship between the dpi of the screen and the video card settings.
 Won't it?  Or am *I* missing something?

Regards
Richard

Richard Ross