[OM] Lens deterioration

Subject: [OM] Lens deterioration
From: Ross Waite <rmwaite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:14:13 +1000
G'day all

Some questions for the technical boffins.

I have been looking through some of Gary Reese's lens tests, and have noted
that some tests have been repeated on the same lens after an overhaul, with
better results than pre-overhaul.  Can anyone explain what causes the fall
off in optical performance?  I thought perhaps it may be related to zooms
and their more complex mechanical construction, but I have noticed primes
have also benefited from an overhaul in Gary's tests.

I have a 28/2 lens nearly 20 years old (one of the few lenses I bought
new), which has some play in the focusing ring.  Can this be repaired by
adjustment/tightening or is it just due to component wear?  Can a defect
such as this result in reduced image quality compared to when it was new.
 Would an overhaul make an improvement in image quality?

Regards
Ross Waite