RE: [OM] Kiron Lenses: 28/2.8 and 70-150/4

Subject: RE: [OM] Kiron Lenses: 28/2.8 and 70-150/4
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 06:35:50 -0400
Now that Warren Kato has sold me his Kiron matched multiplier I now have
both the Vivitar and Kiron 70-150's with matched multipliers.  While
both may have been manufactured by Kiron the ones I have are very
different lenses.  The Vivitar is an f/3.8 two-touch and it weighs a
ton.  The Kiron is an f/4 single-touch and is relatively light.  Both
have macro settings.  I think both are 52mm filter size.

I've not compared them for optical performance.  In fact, I haven't used
the Vivitar in years.  The focusing collar is too loose and the
slightest touch will knock it out of focus.  By the way, is there an
easy way to fix this?  Are the tolerances off?  Is there not enough
grease in the the focusing threads?  Is there a drag adjustment?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts
Brian Huber said:

I'm sure these were the same lenses as sold by Vivitar in the late 70's,
early 80's.  The Vivitar 28 2.0 I have has "macro" capabilities similar
Kiron.  The Vivitar 70-150 also was sold with a Matched Multiplier ( a
2x
Teleconverter matched for the 70-150 optics).  Kiron made both lenses
for
Vivitar.