Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:27:44 GMT
On Mon, 09 Aug 1999 09:14:30 +0100, Richard Ross wrote:

>>Oh, sorry, forgot the Rolls-Royce bit; the /model/ is Olympus. Is there a
>>river by the name Olympus? Somehow it seems that RR names their engines
>>after rivers....

True of engines that originated from the "original" Rolls Royce: jet
engines were named after rivers and piston engines named after birds
of prey.

>They certainly used to, yes - e.g Avon, Spey.  But they must have stopped
>doing that as there's no River Olympus to my knowledge, and certainly no
>River RB-211 :-)

They're back now, with the Trent series of big turbofans (as on many
777's such as American Airlines, Delta and others) for example.

The Olympus engine series originated with the Bristol Aeroplane
Company, later Bristol Siddeley and then merged with RR many years
back. Bristol engines were named after figures and places in Greek
mythology.

The Olympus engine is a *very* old design: one of the original 2-spool
turbojets designed as a military engine.

Regards

--
John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)