Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"

Subject: Re: [OM] Importance of "feel"
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:20:53 +0100
Skip wrote

>If you're going to "live" with a camera, it
>should suit your shooting style, the size/shape of your hands, and your
>personality.

Agree absolutely, although my original point had as much to do with the
feel as a piece of engineering as with ergonomics.  My OM-1n's controls
feel smoother and nicer than my OM-2SP's, despite being pretty much
identical in ergonomic design.

>When I bought my first OM-1 in 1976, I did the hands-on evaluation as
>above, and I must have tried 5 different bodies at the time before settling
>on the OM.

When I bought my original OM-10, I tried equivalent offerings from Nikon,
Pentax and Canon.  I liked the OM-10's v/f and meter display, plus its
ability to take a manual adaptor. As I moved on up the OM ladder I
naturally encountered the Oly shutter speed ring which, perversely, I
actually don't like very much.  Luckily, since I'm usually in auto it
doesn't bother me often - certainly not enough to change to another system.
 But it's one reason I mostly use my OM-2SP and OM-4 rather than the OM-1n.

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England