Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:43:06 +0100
I too mainly use Paint Shop Pro v5.03 for digital manipulation of my scanned OM
photos and agree with your comments. There's an awful lot of hidden power under
there that you may not need for just photo retouching and it's taken me months
to get into it as the manual is vague and there's not much on-screen help, but
there's a great book called "Learn PSP in 24 Hours," or something along those
lines, that I borrow from my brother sometimes and read 'til my brain clogs up.
There's also a newsgroup - comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro - from where you
can obtain lots of help as long as you don't upset the members (they seem to be
temperamental artistic types who flare up at the slightest thing). The latest
version of Photoshop that I tried  was v3 and it crashed almost daily. PSP5 is
much more robust and crashes only about once a month, usually by displacing the
horizontal hold on the monitor display

I recently scanned both of my OM bodies and all of my lenses and by cutting
round the images, each on its own transparent PSP5 layer, I can instantly
produce a bitmap of either body 'fitted' with any lens. Well, it kept me amused
for a weekend when it was too hot to go out.

Anyone using PSP5 (or Paint Shop Pro I suppose) should look at Filters
Unlimited. You can download a demo copy that does everything that the real one
does except actually apply the filter from www.icnet.de, a German site but with
an English language option. The full version costs US$35.

You can put me down as a volunteer ADITL2 print scanner for the UK/Eire.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx