Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning for ADITL2
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:16:23 -0700
From: Acer Victoria <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>>640x480 pixels at 72 dpi<<<

Question: I scaled some of images, scanned from a 4x6 print, to said
resolution. I've discovered it changes the aspect ratio somewhat, and to
me looks unnatural, vertically stretched. Just me or what?

Crop, don't scale!

In Photoshop, set the selection tool options to "Constrained Aspect Ratio" and enter 640 and 480. Now it will be impossible to make a crop that won't scale properly. Better yet, downsample so the short dimension is 480, then set selection tool to "Fixed" 640x480, and crop.

I scan at full resolution, 48 bits, then do a little dust and scratch spotting and tonal range adjustment, reduce bit depth to 24 bits, lightly sharpen, then re-sample to 480 by whatever, perhaps sharpen a bit more, then I set "Fixed" selection size to 640x480 and crop.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229