Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 2/SP Program Function
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:46:02 EDT

> --> SO TO THE FIRST QUESTION:
>  Subject: Exposure-measuring. The times shown in the viewfinder are with
the
>  same white wall (or any other target) about:
>  Program Mode:  1/60
>  Auto Mode:     1/8
>  Manual S:      1/8
>
>  No film in the camera. When I take a shot I get the times above.
>
>  How can it be that the camera has these large differences between the
>  settings? There are TWO TO THREE STEPS difference!!
>  It can't be because of the lack of film in the house?
>  I must know if there is any problems with the camera before I buy it, and
>  _I_don't_have_money_to_spend_on_taking_a_film_just_
>  _to_test_the_function. (I'm a poor student and the prices on film are high
>  in Sweden.) So please no advices to take a test film.

You know how sometimes you take a blank roll of pictures. Well, do that again
by placing the film across the guide rails but without engaging it into the
take up reel. Then the program mode of the OM2S will have the proper
reflective surface to calculate exposures.

>  ---> SO TO THE SECOND QUESTION:
>  In Program Mode there is some kind of "intelligent" exposure measuring
>  system.
>  In manual mode it is spot measuring in the little circle in the middle.
>  BUT IN AUTO MODE: Is it SPOT measuring there too, or is it centered
average
>  light measuring??
>  PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Auto mode is always averaging mode and spot mode is always manual mode.
Program mode uses an algorithm taking into consideration the aperture set on
the lens with a bias toward wide open aperture up to a speed of 1/60 of a
second and shuts the aperture down and decreases the shutter speed if there
is more light. Because the exposure system if OTF, your meter indication and
actual shutter speeds may not agree. It is suggested that your lens be placed
on minimum aperture to use the full range of the programmed exposures.

>  If you have any extra questions to clarify any of the questions above,
don't
>  hesitate to ask!

What a great buy!!

Warren