Re: [OM] precision of metering-dial 2S, 4 Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] precision of metering-dial 2S, 4 Ti
From: Hertz-Eichenrode <hertz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:24:36 +0200
Ross Waite wrote

> This also occurred to my OM-4 & 4Ti after having a CLA done on each.
> Prior
> to that, as the compensation dial was adjusted, the result could be seen
> on
> the LCD in the viewfinder.  I also sent the cameras back to be checked,
> but
> they came back just the same, with a note to the effect that the
> compensation was working normally.

 >I have a similar problem which I am still trying to deal with.  Both my
> OM-4 & 4Ti,  display the exact same speed for the spot reading as for the
> average reading (given an absolutely evenly lit wall), but in practice,
> the
> auto (averaging) mode overexposes compared with the spot or manual mode,
> by
> around 1/2 to 2/3 of a stop.

> To get around it when using normal auto mode, I set the compensation
>dial
> to -1/3 or -2/3, depending on the situation.  Problem then is that I
> often
> forget to switch off the compensation prior to using spot or manual.
> Very
> frustrating.

Hi Ross,
thanks very much for your comments, they cover my sentiments totally as
well as my experiences with Oly-service in Germany since they seemingly
started to treat OM as history. Besides technical aspects I am not able
to comment I suppose our problems to be part of design-failures (simply
deriven from the fact that f.e. the spot=average-display-problem does not
usually occur; my 2 S showes some strange but not this behaviour, your 4s
display exactly as well) and quality of service (well, except of the
blessed OMers in the US as I learn from the highly informative posts from
Mr. Hermanson).
My first little defect on an OM-1 in 1975 was fixed within three days,
addtional cleaning service, really unexpected no charge, friendly
explanation of the problem: the kind of service to keep the customer
close to the company; some years later, service-prices at normal rates,
but service stayed reliable, it was the high time of OM, one felt really
"at home" there. Then around 1994 the story with this 2S got me as angry
as I do allow a sideway-hobby-matter to make. It was about half a year on
journey to Olympus and back, the first defect clearly visible, the second
even  listenable , exactly the same phenomena you have with the OM4s -
obvious misadjustment of shutter-timer and display (I did not mention the
auto-mode-abberation in my first post because I saw the topic covered in
the archives), standard service-comment: adjusted and tested, every
function ok, result: unfixed  until now. I felt highly irritated and
stopped recommending Olympus-cameras to others than full-hobbyists of the
special "it drives rarely but I love my old Jaguar"-type.

So with the 2 S I share your practice of constant awareness of dealing
with compensation (dialing the unprecise display to changes in ASA to get
propper manual function and additionally standard-compensation in
auto-mode to compensate the slowish shutter-speed).

> The technicians around here say this is normal; - spot and average should
> be different.  I don't agree as I didn't have this problem prior to the
> CLA.

Well, good point ;-); this conclusion I derived analogically from the
comparison between  my 2S (DISPLAY showes identical values at spot and
average-mode) and the 4Ti (the display-aberation between spot and average
is of course a minor problem in daily use once you know which the
preferred is; but OM is kind of precision-aesthetics as well...).

> I have heard that the auto average mode is easy to adjust.
>  Apparently, there are 2 potentiometers under the bottom plate of the
> mirror box.  The rear-most one is supposedly the one for the auto mode
> shutter duration. (I think the front one is the adjustment for manual
> shutter speeds.)  I have no problem with performing the adjustment as I
> am
> an trained in electronics and frequently perform adjustments via preset
> pots.
>  The problem is getting to the pot in question.
> If anyone can shed any light on this
> it
> would be welcome.

Very welcome, indeed; could bring my 2 S (I suppose that the adjustment
might be done similarly) back to the normal function.

> If I lived in the US, I would ship the cameras to John H.  From past
> experience with repair technicians in my area, I am not inclined to
>trust
> them to fix this problem without inflicting some other problem.
> I find it frustrating that the potential metering excellence of these
> cameras cannot always be realised because it is so hard to find someone
> who
> can calibrate then correctly.

Exactly my sentiments, having lost the faith in the official service here
up to now. But up to now as well I have not found a comparably usefull
and charming alternative to OM...

Best regards
Hans-Juergen Hertz-Eichenrode
c/o European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder)