[OM] OM and astrophotography (Was Coma (was 35-80/2.8))

Subject: [OM] OM and astrophotography (Was Coma (was 35-80/2.8))
From: Sean Chan <sean@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:23:42 +0800 (WST)
Hello George,

> Astrophotography is the hardest thing I've attempted since I tried to
> repair the clutch on my Comet Cyclone, in the winter, laying in snow.
>
> I've been using a Meade 8" LX-200 basically as a guidable mount for
> various lenses. The normal and wide lenses are easy and can take
> interesting photos. But the telephotos are a bear.

I haven't tried piggyback yet but I'm surprised you said that. 'cos
the problem I have is that if I use my 28mm or 50mm Zuiko, the bottom
part of the frame will be clipped by the telescope (OTA). So if I were
to try piggyback, I can only use the 135mm F2.8 Zuiko.

> Out of probably a few dozen tries in the last year or two (it's hard
> for me to get to dark sky now that we've got our little baby), I've
> gotten 2 useable slides.

I tried 2 prime focus (with Canon F-1) and my tracking was bad. Not to
mention the F-1 was a heavy camera...which was why I dumped it for the
Olympus OM-1...I was hoping that the OM-4Ti would work well too but
apparently the mirror-lockup timer doesn't work in Bulb mode!!

> One of the area surrounding the Whirlpool Galaxy with my 250/2 which is
> now someone elses'.  The Whirlpool could be recognized - under a loupe.
> The other of the ubiquitous Orion Nebula with the 350/2.8 (I bought with
> the proceeds from the 250/2) plus a 1.4x, making a 500/4  This was tough
> to guide, but it produced a wonderful slide on EK200.

Tha'ts interesting!! Boy you've got nice lenses there :-). I'll have to
fix up my GP-DX mount first (I think I stuffed it up) then try some
astrophotography again.

> I look forward to seeing your successes!

Boy...I hope to get some too!!

> George

Sean
--