Re: [OM] OM and astrophotography (Was Coma (was 35-80/2.8))

Subject: Re: [OM] OM and astrophotography (Was Coma (was 35-80/2.8))
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:52:02 -0700
Sean;

Sean Chan wrote:

> Hello George,
>
> > Astrophotography is the hardest thing I've attempted since I tried to
> > repair the clutch on my Comet Cyclone, in the winter, laying in snow.
> >
> > I've been using a Meade 8" LX-200 basically as a guidable mount for
> > various lenses. The normal and wide lenses are easy and can take
> > interesting photos. But the telephotos are a bear.
>
> I haven't tried piggyback yet but I'm surprised you said that. 'cos
> the problem I have is that if I use my 28mm or 50mm Zuiko, the bottom
> part of the frame will be clipped by the telescope (OTA). So if I were
> to try piggyback, I can only use the 135mm F2.8 Zuiko.

I know what you mean.  That's why I bought a second piggyback adaptor.
I mount a heavyweight adaptor in the usual spot - the rear of the OTA. I
use that one for heavy telephotos. The other is a smaller adaptor that
can be adjusted 'up and down' by 30 degrees or so to point at a
different area of sky than the OTA.  This one I mount 180 degrees around
the tube from the first but at the front of the OTA. So when this camera
is mounted, the lens actually projects a bit forward of the tube so
there is no vignetting. I use this for shorter focal lengths.  Whenever
I'm guiding, I've got at least 2 cameras going.  Sometimes if I feel
real lucky, I'll even put a third one at prime focus.

> > Out of probably a few dozen tries in the last year or two (it's hard
> > for me to get to dark sky now that we've got our little baby), I've
> > gotten 2 useable slides.
>
> I tried 2 prime focus (with Canon F-1) and my tracking was bad. Not to
> mention the F-1 was a heavy camera...which was why I dumped it for the
> Olympus OM-1...I was hoping that the OM-4Ti would work well too but
> apparently the mirror-lockup timer doesn't work in Bulb mode!!

No, but a soft touch with a cable release does.  Or you could cover the
lens FOV with a black card, open the shutter, wait a few secs for vibes
to die out, then move the card away.

George