Re: [OM] Unusual OM Book on Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] Unusual OM Book on Ebay
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:51:11 +0200
George S. wrote:

:     The first edition was published in 1975. My book, (and soon to be
: Skip's), English, second edition, 1977-78 is 350 pages, not 248, so I'd think
: it's not the same book.  The publisher was, believe it or not- Olympus
: Optical Co. Hamburg.
: They do list English, German, and Italian editions, but, as I say, it's 350
: pages.

Hmmm, "Die Welt des OM Systems" litteraly means, as you probably guessed, "The
World of OM Systems". So it is more than likely that my book is based on the
original, updated for the OM-1n and OM-2n and with the OM-10(QD) added. How he
managed to cut down 100 pages whilst Dutch generally speaking needs more words
than English I don't know. Maybe he reduced the number of pictures, or used a
smaller typeface, or maybe he just removed certain parts. The publisher of the
German edition was not Olympus but Dorothea Pangerl - a family company I guess.
Remarkable in the book are four pictures of the writer where he shows four
techniques how to steady a hand-held 65-250/F5 lens. One of them is using your
left arm, folded to you your breast, as a tripod that supports the lens.This
technique has another advantage: from a distance the lens and the length of it
are less visible, so it's also a stealth technique. The others are leaning your
body against a tree, leaning your elbows on a trunc, and using your knees as a
tripod whilst sitting.

hnz