Re: [OM] Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] Eclipse
From: epozar@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:51:13 +0200
Arnab Kumar Banerjee wrote:

> hi guys,
> I had been meaning to ask this question for some time now, guess with all
> this eclipse talk, might be a good time to bring it up.
>
> As an amatuer, the last total solar eclipse i photographed was in india.
> OM-10 with 135mm Soligor set at 1/1000 f 22 (lowest i could go on this
> combination). No ND filter, no polarizers, no eye protection. just set focus
> to infinity and shot blindly (pun intended!. developed in a one hour lab,
> the photos came out more or less Ok in terms of exposure, the sun was quite
> small, however all the photos had a double sun. (an image of the sun
> overlapping the original image). i attributed this to lens flare, brightness
> of sun, lack of time composing the image etc. etc.
>
> however, a couple of weeks ago, photographing the full moon with an OM10
> 75-150 zuiko at f4 and 2 sec, the problem repeated itself.
>
> Why do I get a double image? how can i avoid this ??

Hi,

Remove ALL filters when pointing at bright subjects (night scenes,
sun..).

The "other" sun is a reflection of the sun that is bounced of the film,
going back to the back of the filter and reflected again - to the film.

The effect (understandably) cannot be seen before the actual exposure.

Other possible cause is an internal reflection -> usually a bad lens.

--
Regards,

Emil Pozar
epozar@xxxxxxxxx