Re: [OM] Eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] Eclipse
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:30:50 +0100
Alex wrote

>The Eclipse has just been and gone here in Leamington Spa, I've taken a
roll of
>film with my OM4 and 80-200 with a  2x teleconverter with 3 polarising
filters
>on the end. I'm getting them developed now so I'll let you know what they
come
>out like.
>
>I'm not blind yet either!!! (touch wood!)

No danger of being blinded where I was...   I travelled to Penzance at the
tip of Cornwall to be in the totality zone, but the only totality we saw
was total cloud cover :-(  But boy, what clouds!  I shot a roll of Sensia
II through the OM-2SP and 50/1.4, and was very glad of the Winder -
something I don't use very often.  The experience was eerie in the extreme
- weird lighting effects and colours in the clouds, and lots of freaked-out
seagulls!  I looked at the TV highlights this morning and they didn't begin
to convey what the scene was actually like, so I'm not hoping for great
things from my slides either, but we'll see.  I just need some sleep now -
a 7 hour train journey each way, starting at 3am yesterday and finishing at
1am this morning is not an experience I'd care to repeat in a hurry.
Although the run along the Devon coast from Exeter through to Plymouth and
into Cornwall was beautiful - bright sunshine and early morning mist which
really rubbed in the torrential rain at Penzance.  I doubt I'll be around
for the next one in 2090, so if I want to see a proper total eclipse it
looks like an even longer journey next time ...

Cheers
Richard

Richard Ross
Hemel Hempstead, England