Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1091

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1091
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:18:25 -0400 (EDT)
> Okay, a question.  I bought this F280, and having searched the archives,
> I've discovered that lots of people think it's pretty much useless.  Is
> this the case?  I mean, I want to do fill flash and closeup work, mostly:
> food shots, portraits.  Wouldn't the weak FP flash work well for this?
> And doesn't it make a decent GN 28 flash when used TTL without the FP
> function?

Personally, I think the F280 is getting a bad rap.  I used to own a T32
(until it was stolen) and now own an F280.  Even though the F280 is a bit
weaker, I find it more than adequate.  Sure the super FP is somewhat
limiting, but hey, I *can't* even do super FP with the T32.  Sure Olympus
could have come up with a better super FP flash ala T45, but just because
they didn't doesn't mean the F280 is useless.  I have also come to greatly
appreciate the extra height of the F280.  With everyone in our family
having blue eyes, the T32 constantly gave "red eye" photos unless I bounced
the flash (which typically reduced the output to be even lower than the
F280!).  The extra height of the F280 almost eliminates red eye.  The
only thing I miss from the T32 is the convienient calculator panel on
the back and the multiple manual modes.  But I have a T45 for that.....
                                -mark