Re: [OM] Zuiko 85/f2 - a landscape lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85/f2 - a landscape lens?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:27:25 -0500
At 06:51 PM 8/12/1999 +0200, you wrote:
>Hallo everybody!
>Does anybody have opinion how 85/2 performs as a landscape lens?
>I know 100/2 is better, but... ($$$)
>And what about 85/2 compared to 100/2.8 or 135/2.8?
>
>Best regards,
>Artur

Artur,

Based on Gary Reese tests, the 85/f2 would seem to perform at its very best
in the middle stops, making it perfect for handheld portraiture, etc.  I
personally have decided that the 35-105 and possibly 85-250 zooms are what
I'm going to use to cover the smaller apertures, i.e, in landscape work.
Nevertheless, I used the 85/f2 a lot in a recent trip to the southwest. If
you think you can get anything meaningful from looking at pics prepared for
a web site, feel free to peruse my southwest gallery at
http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/index.html.

Despite having this focal length covered in several other ways, the 85/f2
is a lens I would not be without.  It seems to give what one expects from
any other f2 Zuiko but with the scale of the smaller lenses.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA