[OM] RE: Flash Foot Shims (was "hotshoe problem ... ?")

Subject: [OM] RE: Flash Foot Shims (was "hotshoe problem ... ?")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:53:15 -0500
At 01:33 PM 8/13/1999 -0400, Chris Riek wrote:
>TMLee,
>
>I've had a similar problem with my OM-4T while using the shoe
>mounted TTL cord for the F280. The problem is that the "lips"
>on the hot shoe on the OM-4T (and the OM-2SP I'm told) are
>taller than the older cameras. Because of this reason, you may
>not get good contact on the pins. What I did was to put a thin
>shim of brass on the upper surface of the flash's hot shoe "lip".
>This pushed the flash down onto the pins more and solved my
>problem.

Hi Chris,

I've just shimmed the foot of my Duo-Sync cords to effect the same
improvement.  I used .001 thickness of shim brass, purchased from a hobby
store. In the first attempt I used a toothpick to apply contact cement to
*top* side of the foot, then lay a 1/8" width of brass on top of the
cement. This was pretty easy to do, but I felt epoxy would be better so on
my second Duo-Sync, I mixed clear epoxy and applied it in the same way.
Because the epoxy is not initially as sticky as contact cement, it was
harder to get the brass to adhere. I used two flat toothpicks wedged into
the space on top of the shim to hold it in place until the glue dried.

This is really a big improvement with the OM-2S hot shoe and the shim is
thin enough that the Duo-Syncs still work with the old Shoe 1 and Shoe 4.

Chris, how did you attach your brass shims?

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA