RE: [OM] never produced goodies?

Subject: RE: [OM] never produced goodies?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 09:45:09 -0400
I was in a store last week that had the Nikon version of the Olympus
bellows.  It had exactly the same rail and focusing knobs.  Only difference
was the Nikon version was black.  I'm scheduled to be back near there next
week and can check on exact Nikon model.  Looks to me that some other
company beside Olympus made that bellows.
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

>>>There is also mention of a second bellows, the Auto Bellows-S with
tiltable
>front standard. Has anybody ever seen one?>>
>
>Yes.  This was also produced for the Nikon at or around the same time.
>I saw one that was an Oly and an associate has the similar Nikon model.
>I know they were made by a third party company for both manufacturers in
>the 1970's.  They are almost impossible to find.

>Phillip

>>>Phillip, are you sure this was badged Olympus and sold by them or just a
third party accessory available also for Olympus? I have the Nikon one
which is the PB-4 and it was definitely Nikon made and marketed. It is
quite different in design and finish from the Olympus made Auto Bellows.
Olympus has one square rail with the rack mounted on the rail. Nikon has 2
round rails with the rack's teeth cut into them. Olympus used to have a
coffee-brown (sorry, coffee with milk) coloured finish, Nikon was black
crinkle. They were sufficiently different so a third party company
producing them would have had to put up 2 different manufacturing lines.
Doesn't make sense economically. But I know, at around the same time there
was that ominous Japanese swinging-tilting bellows available with mounts
for the major marques of SLRs. It later appeared in the Hama catalogue, as
Hans van Veluwen has pointed out in his reply.

The discussion seems to concentrate on the bellows and is shifting (pun
intended) towards the usefulness of a pivoting standard. My original
question was meant more from a collector's standpoint. Have these items
from Olympus ever existed on the market? Nobody has yet answered the part
about the lenses. Any volunteers? John in particular?

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela