[OM] Aerial Photography

Subject: [OM] Aerial Photography
From: flzhgn <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:50:36 -0700
Well W.J. Liles,

For aerial photography I'd use Olympus lenses between 28 and 200 mm focal
length.
I've used a 50 on a doubler with Kodak HIE Black and white infrared film for
photos
from high altitude (38,000 feet) and Tech Pan at ASA 25 with a Red 25 filter on
a 50
mm lens for the high altitude shots.

Your best pictures; however will be from low altitude and color film is the
best choice.
You may get your best shots during take off and landing a zoom lens between
35mm and
100 mm might be a good choice.  Kodachrome 64 and Kodachrome 25 are really
sharp films and you can boost the reds with one of those ehancer filters
!
BTW -- I just got my didymium enhancer filter and it really makes the reds pop
-- I wish I had known about this earlier !

You might want to try the new Kodak  Infrared Ecktachrome especially if you
want to look at plant health (healthy plants reflect alot more infrared
light than unhealthy plants the healthy cells  act like little infrared prisms.
 Be sure to have a Yellow Wratten #12 filter or you will likely be
disappointed.
I use Exposure Index of 200 with E6 processing but I have not shot this film
aerially.  The AR5 process is supposed to have more contrast but I
don't even know where to obtain AR5 processing.
I think you would be happy with EIR and E6 processing.  Most places will not
cut the
slides because the super strong Estar base (like Tech Pan) will damage the
slide cutter/mounter machine, so you'll have to cut and mount the slides
your self -- it's
easy especially with a light box, plastic mounts and a lintless glove.

I recommend you choose a medium telephoto zoom lens, use a UV absorbing filter
(especially at high altitude).  Keep the camera strapped around you at all
times.

Sometimes the landings with these STOL aircraft can be quite a jolt and your
camera
can end up broken on the cockpit floor -or- worse that big telephoto lens that
was on
your lap or firmly held between your knees is now jammed behind the steering
pedals
and you are about to collide with the cliff that is adjacent to the short
landing strip !!
With only seconds to spare I reached down and ripped that big 400 mm out from
behind
the co-pilots pedals --- Make sure all extra gear is stowed in safe place where
it can't
foul up the controls, etc.

Well, sorry for being long winded -- I hope this gives you some good ideas
have a wonderful time!

-- Hank Hogan <http://www.netcom.com/~flzhgn/ir.htm>

Photographers vests are great for keeping film and lenses and stuff handy !
Choose a film with a speed of around 200
The new Kodak  Gold 200 is really good for a print film.