RE: [OM] Zuiko's vs. Leitz's ?

Subject: RE: [OM] Zuiko's vs. Leitz's ?
From: "Will von Dauster" <vondauster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:57:26 -0700
Hi folks,

Mike Harrington wrote:

<<A few digests ago a couple listers were comparing some Zuiko's to some
Leica
lenses. I'm interested to know which ones and why.>>

This is a big question and has been discussed extensively here. , I would
first refer you to Gary Reese's tests of various Zuiko lenses at:

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

for a very good overview of the system. Mike Johnson says, and my experience
confirms, that Olympus has an excellent stable of 50mm lenses, particularly
the 50mm f2 Macro, the 50mm f1.8, and in my opinion, the 50mm f1.2. Since I
have not shot every Zuiko lens (unlike Leica M, where I have), I cannot
offer a comprehensive list of comparable lenses, but would single out the
35mm f2.0 and 100mm f2.8 as comparable to the pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron and
90mm Tele-Elmarit (note: not the current model) respectively. The 50mm f2.0
Macro is as good as or better than the 50mm Summicron.

<<This is just out of curiosity--I thought it was interesting that this kind
of comparison was being made, and that some Oly lenses are considered on par
with Leica.>>

Maitani-san is a Leica fan, so this is not too surprising.

<<One of the reasons I'm getting into Oly is it's small size, compareable to
rangefinders, and it's nice to know that the lenses are up there too.>>

Quite a number of Zuiko lenses are right up there or better. I find the
systems to be a nice compliment to each other.

Will von Dauster

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde