Re: [OM] Zuiko All Stars

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko All Stars
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:37:11 -0700
Bau;

>If this idea has already been discussed in the past, please ignore this
>message.
>
>If not, I was thinking the other day, as I am trying to redesign my lens
>assortment, that it would be really helpful to have a list of the top ten
>greatest zuiko lenses.  Actually it would have to be two top tens:  One for
>"money is no object" (MNO) and one for "money is very much an object"
(MIVMAO).

This has been discussed before. I didn't respond then, but I feel I have
enuf info now to hazard a shot at it.  I'll do the MNO list, with
explanations based on experience.

1) 35-80/2.8           Exp: I received my (used) copy of this lens on Fri,
shot the remaining half of a roll with it on Sat/Sun and, after examining
the slides under a loop today, I can say that this is **the best**
all-around Zuiko I've used.  And you'll see from the rest of this list that
I've used some good ones.  I was totally amazed at the star test results I
saw today.  Wide open star images on this lens are at least as good those
from the 90/2 and 50/2 - and this is a zoom!  I've also seen some results
from this lens used for portraiture, etc and it is wonderful. Pure bokeh.
2) 90/2                    Exp: I've had this one for about 8 years.  It is
as sharp and contrasty as it's reputation.  I think it's the best Zuiko
macro of all because of the F/2 aperture combined with pretty good working
distance. Great for portraits too, though you may need to soften it a bit.
Bokeh is outstanding.  Stars sharp edge-to-edge wide open.
3) 250/2 or 350/2.8 (tie)        Exp: I've owned used copies of both of
these lenses, sold the first to buy the 2nd cause I wanted the increased
focal length.  These lenses are both fabulous.  Stars sharp edge-to-edge
wide open.
4) 50/2                     Exp: I've owned this baby for 2 years.  It's a
great normal lens, a fantastic macro lens and great wide open. Stars sharp
edge-to-edge wide open.
5) 50/1.2                   Exp:  Nice and soft at corners at open
apertures, sharp as a tack from f/5.6 and up.  Beautiful piece of glass.
Fastet Zuiko of all.  Great for low light work and landscapes.  Don't use
for stars though.
6) 16/3.5 Fisheye    Exp:  Wonderful lens. Gives 180 degree FOV, can get
great distortive effects or minimize them with judicious use.  And, once
again, it's very good even when used wide open.  Stars sharp wide open.
7) Zuiko 1.4x            Exp:  This teleconvertor, when used with it's
'matched lenses',  produces image quality almost indistinguishable from the
lens alone.
8) 21/3.5                   Exp:  I owned this lens for a couple of years.
It was a great performer.  And tiny.  I decided, however, that I had to have
the faster 21/2 and so sold the 3.5  I  wish I had it back.

Now, here's where it gets tricky for me because I have either not enuf
experience with these lenses, or none at all but from what I've heard and
read, the list could be finished with:

180/2 (probably belongs higher than #9); Then, pick one:18/3.5; 21 or 24 or
28 or 35 F/2s.

George