Re: [OM] famous pics and cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] famous pics and cameras
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:43:25 EDT

Wayne.Harridge wrote:

>  I've noticed the same thing.  In Australian magazines the predominant
>  cameras seem to be Canon, Minolta & Nikon.

In the U.S., several camera magazines (the ones aimed at amateurs) -
PopPhoto, Photographic, and a couple of others,  seem to be nothing more than
ads for the Nikon, Canon, Minolta,Sigma,Pentax cartel. [the big spenders]
(AND the numerous ripoff New York City "camera stores") And as such, why
should they print reader's photos taken on an Olympus? I don't think you'll
EVER see a photo taken by an Olympus. In fact, you'll be VERY hard pressed to
even find one taken with a non-current model Canon. No A-1s here, no sir. No
T-50s either, etc.  They also never seem to have anything bad to say in a
"head to head test" of major cameras or lenses. Come on, there's NOTHING bad
to say about ANY Sigma camera or lens ever made?!  You may see them mildly
criticise a $99 color primter, or a $25 tripod, but never anything more than
this when testing a camera: " Oh yes, we'd like to see the exposure
compensation dial in a more logical place, but gee, after shooting a couple
of rolls with the camera it was quite easy to get used to."
[not an actual quote]

The U.K. mags, OTOH, are extremely credible, IMO, sometimes brutally frank in
stating how they feel about a tested camera body or lens: "It's a real
stinker!"
[actual quote]. Why can THEY remain honest while the U.S. ones are lead
around by the nose by the big advertisers? They spend for ads in the U.K.
mags too, don't they?

George S.