Re: [OT] [OM] Are You Ready For Some Football??

Subject: Re: [OT] [OM] Are You Ready For Some Football??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:50:46 +0000
At 22:40 8/17/99, David wrote:
>I've deleted my copy too but would it help at all to write our complaints to
>gamblersbay.com's ISP and include the below address?

I don't know.  That's why I wanted to see the headers; to see what mail
server it came from.  It could be the "ISP" (Digital Eyez) *is* Gambler's
Bay.  With only 256 internet addresses, I suspect it.  If it's true,
writing to Digital Eyez would, at best, be ignored and at worst result in
some form of retaliation (usually more SPAM).  Scanned their 256 addresses
with a "who and what are you" query (internet servers normally respond with
name and function).  Looks like a few things within the first dozen or so
addresses associated with the Gambler's Bay site and nothing else; no other
servers (mail, ftp, gopher, web, etc.)  Further evidence of the above.

If I wrote anybody at this point it would be the upstream provider for
Digital Eyez:  Starcom International Optics Corp.  Note the street
addresses for them; they are cozy neighbors in the same building!  Hmmmmm,
very curious coincidence.  Would want to know more about Starcom first:
who and what they are.

Bottom line:  SPAM from any source seems to have ended . . . unusual
(cancer in remission?)!  Never seen that happen before but it may be best
to let sleeping dogs lie unless it starts again.  Timeliness (immediate
response) gets best results.  Server backups still have evidence for ISP's
and upstream providers to verify abuse claims.  I fear too much time has
elapsed for this one.

-- John
Laying in Wait for Now