Re: [OM] To spot or not

Subject: Re: [OM] To spot or not
From: David Irisarri Vila <valicors@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:19:27 +0200
Hi,
    I´ve come back from my holidays and I´ve seen this question
very attractive. I would like to explain to everyone how I use my
OM4Ti; if you get bored I´ll understand it, because is a little
annoying to read long e-mails.
    I love portrait, and before buying my OM4Ti, I used to work
with my OM1. I have found spot-metering very attractive, despite
of its 2% because lets you work very fast and concentrate on your
subject (plus aperture priority) but sometimes it can be very
confusing; let me explain. If you work with daylight from 11 to 6
o´clock there´s no problem, but if you use spot metering in dark
places, the camera will search for 18 0ray into the face´s subject
and you´ll have an overexposed film. I´ve learnt to use in this
tricky situations, spot metering plus exposure compensation. I can
imagine more or less how OM4Ti will work and adjust maybe -2/3 or
-1/3 (with slides). I love exposure and I´ll like to see the photo
in my brain before getting my slides processed. One year ago, when
I bought my OM4Ti I used to work a lot with spot metering, now
I think center-weighted copes very well with the most difficult
situation. I also bought one F280; at first I got very dissapponted
with the results, but recently I´ve taken many rolls in order to
get the best from this powerfull unit. You can mix daylight with this
superb flash very well, if you combine it with exposure compensation
(this is the real OTF) how the camera mixes the light and read it
with the shutter curtain before the shutter opens. Normal OTF at
1/60 is a complety different system. I´ve encountered SuperFP + OTC
the best tool for portraits. There is one brawback, you must memorice
superFP guide numbers to get very accurate exposures. I never thought
this camera could give me such exposure control, you can "paint" with
light. The most exciting for me, is that I haven´t used this camera
at its 100%.

Best regards,

Dave