Re: [OM] Please recommend lens & accessories for beginner macro work ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Please recommend lens & accessories for beginner macro work ?
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:45:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Tom Robbrecht wrote:

> I've recently enjoyed playing with my OM2N in the basement where I've set up
> a makeshift studio for macro shots of all sorts of small objects in a
> controlled environment.

    Spend time learning about lighting. This is a studio, albeit a tiny
one. You might find it advantageous to build your own mini-bank lights.
TTL exposure has its limitations.

> I'm going to a large swap meet in two weeks and I'd like to know which
> lenses / accessories would enable me to take better shots.
> I'll be looking for a prime macro lens / T32 flash unit + TTL auto cord 4.
> Anybody care to recommend lenses with good price/quality ratio ?

   First, consider your magnification. If you can get by with it, a 50/3.5
mac is hard to beat in terms of bang/buck. So are extension rings and
a 50/1.8. Bellows can be extremely useful. The 90/2.5 Vivitar Series
I (and the legendary 90-180 as well) are excellent lenses. You might also
entertain acquiring a good C..U. lens (like the Nikon & Minolta) and using
it on a regular 50. A reversing ring is good too. You might want to read a
good book (like John Shaw's) on micro-techniques before going further.

                                              *= Doris Fang =*