Re: [OM] Aerial Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Aerial Photography
From: "Gregg Iverson" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:51:53 -0400
One of my student's parents used to work for the State of Maryland.  He
once told me that they flew over the state (I think in a Leer Jet) and
photographed the state.  They digitized the information and then went
out and did field surveys.  When they identified a particular tree in
the field and told the computer what tree a particular image was, the
computer identified all similar trees throughout the state.

This sounds like a useful tool for you.  It may be extremely expensive.
Of particular use may be finding out how the photographs were taken and
with what kind of film.  It seemed it was IR.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was a number of years ago.

Gregg Iverson