Re: [OM] Zoom handling opinions?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zoom handling opinions?
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:40:44 -0700
Skip;

I've got both lenses and will soon probably sell one.

Main differences: **the 65-200 is 2/3 stop faster**;   **65-200 has built-in
macro at 200mm**; **85-250 has tripod collar**;  **65-200 is one-touch,
85-250 is two-touch**.

Speed is an advantage for the 65. The tripod collar is a definite advantage
for the 85. The 65-200 is smaller and a bit lighter, but a collar would
still help.  The macro feature on the 65 gives great working distance, but
results are, of course, not quite on par with dedicated macro lenses.  I
find the 65 easier to use hand-held.

Lastly, the controls:  Personally, I like the one-touch design better.  I
can zoom and focus without searching for the correct ring on the lens.  The
one-touch ring is large and readily evident, while those on the two-touch
are much smaller.   Even though I now have 3 two-touch zooms (also 28-48 and
35-80) I still have a bit of trouble finding the correct ring.  Of course,
there is a potential disadvantage to the one-touch:  it may fall prey to
zoom creep, as has my sample of the 100-200/5  However, my 65-200 was the
second Zuiko I purchased new, around 1984, and it's still tight as a drum,
no creep at all.

As for performance, I haven't done an A/B with them, but I'd say they're
both fine lenses.  Check Gary Reese's tests for more info.

I've decided to take the 65-200 instead of the 85-250 on an upcoming trip
for 2 reasons:  size/weight/speed and I'll have access to 250/4 using
180/2.8 plus 1.4x

George