[OM] Re: 85-250 (was "Zoom handling opinions?")

Subject: [OM] Re: 85-250 (was "Zoom handling opinions?")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:06:30 -0500
At 04:06 PM 8/18/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone have opinions about the 65-200 and 85-250 regarding their
>handling?  Preferences?
>
>Skip

Skip,

I haven't handled the 65-200. The 85-250 is physically like nothing so much
as a larger version of the 75-150, although I think overall it is quite a
bit better lens, so I won't push the comparison too far.  It's very long
and slim and a 2-touch wonder.  I like everything about it, although I
won't do much handholding it. Others may handle it just fine, but mine
comes out for tripod-mounted shots.  The tripod collar is essential IMO and
works well with this lens.

I've been experimenting both with use of a cable release and using the
finger release while dampening with the left hand.  I can't say that I can
tell the difference, particularly on horizontals.  On verticals I don't yet
have the skill or confidence to use anything other than a cable release.  I
may just stick with cable release.  Everything seems to indicate that it is
very smooth and well-balanced with the tripod mount. I.e., no shutter
shudders.

It is so long that it was quite an ordeal to rearrange my standard camera
bag to accommodate it, but it was worth the effort.  The unusual range of
this zoom makes it very attractive to me as well.  If you think about it,
it's not often easy to get the 250mm length.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA