Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:24:52 -0400

>I haven't read the whole mag yet but I did see 3 items of interest.
>
>First is an article all the way at the back of the magazine. It attempts
>to compare the 'essence' the 'je ne c'est quois' the 'philosophy', yea,
>the 'Gestalt' of
>two types of photography and photographers:  35mm shooters and 4x5
>photographers.  The article, by Michael Johnston, makes some interesting
>points to ponder. For example, and paraphrasing:  large format
>photography is really about
>printing.  IOW rare is the large format user who doesn't also have a
>darkroom and agonize over getting the 'perfect interpretive print' from
>his original.  Whereas 35mm folks are not so concerned about artistic
>interpretation, but rather they're about presenting the reality of the
>world to the viewer.
>Any thoughts?

I think often (but of course not exclusively) folk that work in large format
are a bit too retentive and are too hung up on print quality and not enough on
whether the photo is any damn good in the first place. Conversely, 35mm needs
all the help it can get in the darkroom. I have never really shot LF (though
that will change) but I do shoot medium format and it's a helluva lot easier to
get a really good print from MF than 35mm.

snip

>Last was an e-mail letter from our own Denton Taylor.  He praises the
>yearly '25 best camera' article and identifies himself as an
>'unapologetic gearhead'.  Surprised?  Anyone else identify with this?

That was in answer to a question Mike asked in the Compuserve Photo Forum as to
what everyone's favorite articles were. Don't be suprised at me, but all you
other gearheads can now come out of the closet :-)

Did I tell you what I'm packing for my one-week trip to the Adirondacks next
week?

Rollei 6001, 80 2.8, and spare batteries, backs, chargers and hoods. That's for
b&w.

Two Contax Arias, 15, 18, 21, 25, 35 1.4, 28-85, 60 macro, 85 1.4, 70-210, and
180. 360TLA flash For color.

Noblex 135U

Sekonic L508 meter.

A tripod and a monood, the latter for hiking. And a F64 backpack to carry some
of it in.

The kid brings the Elph Jr. and the wife brings G2 with 28, 45, and 90.

Unfortunately the Oly stuff, the Nikon AF, and the M6 stay home.

IT'S A DISEASE!

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.