Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:43:18 -0700 (PDT)
George M. A. wrote
>First is an article all the way at the back of the magazine. It attempts
>to compare the 'essence' the 'je ne c'est quois' the 'philosophy', yea,
>the 'Gestalt' of
>two types of photography and photographers:  35mm shooters and 4x5
>photographers.  The article, by Michael Johnston, makes some interesting
>points to ponder. For example, and paraphrasing:  large format
>photography is really about
>printing.  IOW rare is the large format user who doesn't also have a
>darkroom and agonize over getting the 'perfect interpretive print' from
>his original.  Whereas 35mm folks are not so concerned about artistic
>interpretation, but rather they're about presenting the reality of the
>world to the viewer.
>Any thoughts?

Aargh. "I am resisting the "I" word." Expanding and contracting the
contrast range of a black and white print by manipulating the film
development and printing techniques does not necessarily equal artistic
interpretation. Neither does flowing water which looks like flowing snow
because your large format equipment cannot gather enough light to shoot at
1/60  of a second.  The MJ could look at some of your photos for an
education, George, if he thinks we are not interested in artistic
interpretation. He should be locked in a room with some Ernst Haas prints.

Anyone writing for a mag who thinks that 35 mm users are not concerned
about artistic interpretation is woefully ignorant and should not be there.
Jeez. 35 mm is probably the MOST creative format because of its limitations
in film resolution and its advantages in mobility, light gathering , its
small viewer which requires the photographer to think graphically and its
huge base of artist practitioners.   Any one who thinks that capturing
photos of people, events and places does not require artistic expression
must be a bozo. I guess I will have to read what he said myself.

Of course, sly devil that you are, this whole thing is probably just a plot
to generate animated discussion.

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA