Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Techniques. was: Great Galloping Zweekos
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 12:30:11 -0700
Winsor;

Winsor Crosby wrote:

> George M. A. wrote
> >First is an article all the way at the back of the magazine. It attempts
> >to compare the 'essence' the 'je ne c'est quois' the 'philosophy', yea,
> >the 'Gestalt' of
> >two types of photography and photographers:  35mm shooters and 4x5
> >photographers.  The article, by Michael Johnston, makes some interesting
> >points to ponder. For example, and paraphrasing:  large format
> >photography is really about
> >printing.  IOW rare is the large format user who doesn't also have a
> >darkroom and agonize over getting the 'perfect interpretive print' from
> >his original.  Whereas 35mm folks are not so concerned about artistic
> >interpretation, but rather they're about presenting the reality of the
> >world to the viewer.
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> Aargh. "I am resisting the "I" word." Expanding and contracting the
> contrast range of a black and white print by manipulating the film
> development and printing techniques does not necessarily equal artistic
> interpretation.

Of course not, but it definitely contributes to the process if the
photographer has 'seen' something important.

> Neither does flowing water which looks like flowing snow
> because your large format equipment cannot gather enough light to shoot at
> 1/60  of a second.

This is a matter of taste, of course.  I personally love the look of
water on a long exposure. Gives me a feeling of time and peace.

>  The MJ could look at some of your photos for an
> education, George, if he thinks we are not interested in artistic
> interpretation. He should be locked in a room with some Ernst Haas prints.

HA!  Thanks for that, Winsor.  Much of the work on my site is done with
Olympus.  But much also in 4x5. Right tool for the right job, mate!

> Anyone writing for a mag who thinks that 35 mm users are not concerned
> about artistic interpretation is woefully ignorant and should not be there.

Don't be too hard on him.  Remember please that I only paraphrased one
small point out of many.  Here, for completeness, is one of the 11
points to ponder Mike makes about 35mm, in it's entirety:

"35 mm photographs are often interesting only insofar as they are true.
The genius of 35 does not reside in the advance formation of mental
concepts or approaches, illustrative properties, darkroom manipulation
or craft consciousness, fanciful recombinant imagery, nifty coloristic
effects, "composition", added-on artwork, or the photographer's ability
to please his or her audience by constructing or delimiting a
sentimental little pictorial simulacrum or graphic design. Small-format
is at it's best when used as a means of visual exploration and
discovery. It is, as John Szarkowski says "Primarily a matter of hand
and eye" - of seeing, recognizing, reacting and recording. It is not
primarily about **art**; it is primarily about **life**. Great 35 mm
photographs are truthful impressions of the world: records, observations
or reports of reality."

Whew!  Now you see why I paraphrased before.

I think Cartier-Bresson is a great illustration of this point.  His
photos are truthful impressions of the world, rather than artistic
interpretations.

For comparison, the 'companion' point about 4x5 starts out:
"View camera photograpy is more often about personal expression than
about visual exploration and experimentation."

> Jeez. 35 mm is probably the MOST creative format because of its limitations
> in film resolution and its advantages in mobility, light gathering , its
> small viewer which requires the photographer to think graphically

I agree.  It can be used in many creative ways.

> and its
> huge base of artist practitioners.   Any one who thinks that capturing
> photos of people, events and places does not require artistic expression
> must be a bozo.

See above.

> I guess I will have to read what he said myself.

Yeah, he's not a bozo, but you can't please everyone!  I would suggest
checking out the magazine.  For this and more. Also, don't forget the
article about Zuiks (written by Mike) is going to be in the Nov/Dec
issue. (How much of a bozo can he be if he loves Zuikos?)

> Of course, sly devil that you are, this whole thing is probably just a plot
> to generate animated discussion.

:>) :>)

George