Re: [OM] OM-3T vs OM 4TI

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3T vs OM 4TI
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:38:53 -0700
Ron;

Ron Yabroff wrote:

> All,
>         I have been watching with some interest the various discussions on
> the merits of the different OM bodies.  I have an old but still working
> OM-1 MD and am thinking of upgrading to a newer camera body.  In
> particular, I am concerned that my OM-1 my not give me the best results
> from my lenses--- 24/2.8, 50/1.2, 35-70/3.6, 100/2.8, and 75-150/4.
>
> Questions
> 1)  Is there really a difference in handheld shots depending on the body used?
> I use nothing longer than the 75-150 mm lens, now but might get a 65-200
> sometime in the future.

For handheld shots, I'm sure there would be no difference, assuming goo
dsolid technique.

Tripod shots are another matter, as Gary Reese found out during his
tests.  Seems the newer bodies give noticably sharper results when the
self-timer is used than the OM-1 does even with mirror lock-up (or self
timer.)   But, the 3 and 3Ti do not have self-timers.

> 2)  Is there really an advantage to the OM 3T compared to the OM 4Ti in
> normal photography?  It seems to me that if you can live with the battery
> requirements of the OM4-Ti it is by far the better camera.

I would agree with this. The 4 has a couple features the 3 is lacking.
Most important to me is the self timer.  However, if photographing polar
bears in Canada, I'd rather have the 3!

George