[OM] Don't check that Zweek! (was: Great Galloping Zweekos)

Subject: [OM] Don't check that Zweek! (was: Great Galloping Zweekos)
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:27:00 -0500
At 09:03 AM 8/22/99 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, George M. Anderson wrote:
>
>> I've not made up my mind how I'll carry the 350.  Option 1 is to put it
>> in it's hard case with a body and MD and 1.4x mounted.  Then put that in
>> my large hard sided suitcase and lock it and check it!
>
>    The above must be a misprint...CHECK IN THE 350/2.8 ????
>    George...reconsider...
>                                      *= Doris Fang =*

Never check anything more valuable than your clothes. The airlines have
suceeded in providing themselves with an impregnable fortress of protective
rules, laws, and conventions. Even if they destroy your equipment, they are
probably protected against your loss. Package shippers, however, take on the
liability -- and charge you for it in the shipping fee. Personally, if I
couldn't carry on, I would try shipping Federal Express to myself at the
destination, to be held at the office or delivered to the site, with
signature required, then pick it up there. That's what we do at the office
for huge amounts annually of delicate and valuable scientific and
engineering equipment.

Paul Farrar