Re: [OM] OT: user report on E100VS from Naturephoto group

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: user report on E100VS from Naturephoto group
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:51:53 -0500
At 02:19 PM 8/22/1999 EDT, you wrote:
>Thought this might be of interest to some.
>Best,
>Greg
>>  Subject: E100VS field testing experience
>>
>>  My assistant alerted me to the Kodak E100VS thread that has been =
>>  weaving
>>  through this group, and has also been raised in many photo magazines.
>>  I've been heavily testing the new film and thought I would offer my
>>  thoughts on the E100VS versus Velvia.
>>
>>  I have now exposed more than 500 rolls -- 35 mm and 120 mm -- of E100VS
>>  since February and find that it competes with Velvia favorably on some
>>  levels, exceptionally on others, and blows it out of the water on still
>>  others.

I've been comparing E100VS with Provia (I assume the "new" Provia, as it is
a recent batch from B&H, but I could be wrong).  I don't care for Velvia as
much as others do and Provia has been my standard film for landscape and
almost everything else.  I've had a couple situations in which I've made
identical shots with E100VS and Provia. I used the occasion also to test my
(OM content -->) OM2000 against my OM-2S. (The cameras both performed
beautifully.)

The grain of both films is exceptional.  I think the coloration is very
similar.  The E100VS may be slightly more neutral -- less apt to have a
hint of pink in the whites.  However, I don't find this objectionable in
Provia. I think it's great stuff.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either film.  I'll probably stick with Provia
because I'm used to it and my experience with Kodak processing of the
E100VS is that the slides came back dirty and with minute scratches that I
can't necessarily see with my eye or even under a loupe but which my film
scanner picks up.  My Provia slides don't always come back as though
processed in a clean room, but they are never scratched.  The E100VS is
more expensive than Provia too.  If I bought it and sent it to Fuji for
processing I would always worry that they'd save it back for the end of the
processing run so that it would look a little less than optimum.  (I'm
probably being stupidly paranoid about this.)

So it's not worth it to me to switch to E100VS.  Nice film though.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA