[OM] RE: what's clip testing?

Subject: [OM] RE: what's clip testing?
From: "Tim Breen" <timbreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:30:55 -0500
Hi Acer,

Its a way to test for the proper development time on film when "close
enough" won't cut it.

Commercially it's frequently done in location portraiture. You set up the
environment and photograph the assistants, who are pretending to be the
big-wig clients, who are running the company and don't have time to sit
around while you get the lights right. So you burn the 1st 4-5 frames taking
pictures of the assistants who are positioned exactly where the clients will
be during the real shoot.

The lab cuts a few inches of film (usually off the front of the roll) and
processes it. You visually inspect the results and then process the rest the
same way if you like it or push or pull the remainder if you don't,
depending on what you find. It assumes that the rest of the roll is exposed
in a similar manner as the 1st few frames. On occasion I've had to make two
adjustments (2 clip tests) before the rest of the roll, or maybe the rest of
the rolls, are developed fully.

Most usually done on E6 (slide) processing but I also do it occasionally
when testing b/w zone work or some entire new emulsion I haven't tried
before and I *always* clip w/crossprocessed film. I'll often also shoot a
MacBeth color chart and/or a grey card in those first few frames.

Galen told me he does it on every pushed roll.

Tim

Ps. Obligatory OM content: I just bought a 300/4.5 and it is sweeeeet! (too
much $ though, i.e., $475)