Re: [OM] The Dreaded Fungi (and I *don't* mean "fun guy")

Subject: Re: [OM] The Dreaded Fungi (and I *don't* mean "fun guy")
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:15:16 -0600
At 01:16 PM 8/23/99 +0100, you wrote:

>What's the best way of preventing this type of damage? Will something like
>Silica Gel be enough by keeping things too dry for it to take a hold, or is
>there a more complex answer?
>
>I'd be interested to know as I'd hate this to happen to any of kit....sorry to
>hear about yours Garth :-(
>
>Alex

Alex:

Keeping the humidity where your lenses are stored under 40% (preferably even
under 30%, to allow for day-to-day fluctuations in relative humidity), and
occasional exposure of the innards to UV radiation (sunlight's supposed to be
fine for this).  The problem I'm having is that, while the ambient humidity of
Alberta is generally below 40%, recent years have been more humid, and I have
to store my stuff in the basement of our house, which has an ambient in the 55%
range.  I use silica gel to control humidity, but creating a completely sealed
container is tough.  I'm probably going to switch back to heavy-duty (freezer)
plastic bags with silica gel cartridges in 'em for storage of glass, and then
place the bags into a carryable case.  They're cheap, easily replaceable and
capable of being sealed "profoundly" just with a twist-tie.  My long experiment
with larger sealed containers is over...  Now, where did I put that URL for
more silica gel cartridges? ...

Garth