[OM] Salt water??

Subject: [OM] Salt water??
From: George Conklin <gconklin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 21:29:54 -0700
What do you do when your Oly and lenses get dunked in the ocean - other than pull all batteries quick - but probably too late.

No, I wasn't at the helm, matter of fact I'd just shot some stunning stills of a friend's home built sail boat. I was stowing my camera and film in a WT plastic bag when he approached the dinghy I was in - and misjudged. I floated with my life preserver, the dinghy turned over and floated, the bag in my hand got a major slosh of sea water.

A professional camera replace in New York said the OM-4T, four lenses and motor drive were beyond reasonable repair (read cheaper to replace).

One surprise. The two rolls of film in my pocket (not yet in the plastic canisters) got wet... and processed nicely at a modern custom lab in NYC. My friend got his 3x4 foot print... and a bit of grief from me.

  George in Berkeley, California

P.S. I'm now in the market for an OM-4T, lenses and such. Any suggestions re. places to look. I've got a couple of OM-2ns and an OM-1 MD body and a few more lenses so I am not OM-less.